Bogota Meets Barra (Ajiaco)
500g Barra Bronze meat
1 clove of garlic
150 grams of broccoli
1 corn in the cob
"This is a Colombian soup that brings back many delightful moments of living and travelling in Colombia with my wife Maria. Instead of using chicken we add our twist of a Barra Bronze."
- Brown the leeks, onion and garlic and then add 2 litres of Barra Bronze stock.
- Allow this to boil and then add 6 medium potatoes.
- Cut the corn in the cob into quarters and add it to the stock along with the broccoli. Allow the soup to simmer for 45 minutes.
- Once the potatoes are soft remove one third of the soup and blend it. Return the blended soup to the main pot.
- Add 500 gm of turkey and heat it through the soup.
- Allow the soup to cool down and add 284 ml of single cream
- Season with salt and pepper as required.
Once the soup is served, season with capers.
The Colombians eat this soup along with an avocado on the side with a portion of rice which gives it a beautiful variation of flavours, colours and textures. A nice filling meal to be followed with a Boxing Day siesta!
How to prepare the stock
Submerge the bones of the turkey in water and simmer gently for 2-3 hours with 2 onions and 3 bay leaves. Add salt and pepper as required. Allow the stock to cool and leave it overnight to enhance the flavour. Skim off any excess fat.