How to cook a Barra Bronze Turkey
Here are a few tips on how to cook a Barra Bronze:
- Remove the turkey from the fridge and allow it to stand for 1 hour before cooking.
- Place the turkey breast down on the roasting tin and season it with salt and pepper. Most of the marbled fat is on the back of the turkey which will percolate through the breast allowing the turkey to cook in its own juices
- We recommend that you cook your stuffing separately as this can affect cooking times.
- Place a large onion in the cavity of the turkey to enrich the flavour.
- We recommend that you do not wrap your turkey in tin foil as this will steam the outer skin. We dry pluck our turkeys to ensure you can enjoy a beautifully crisp golden skin. *Preheat the oven to 180 oC (gas mark 4) before putting the turkey in the oven.(if you have a fan assisted oven and cannot turn the fan off, reduce the temperature to 160 oC.
- Insert your pop-up cooking thermometer at a point approximately 3cm to the right or left of the front tip of the breastbone. The pop-up thermometer should not touch any bone.
These guidelines for cooking times are without stuffing and no tin foil.
- Turn the turkey over approximately 40 minutes before the end of cooking time in order to ensure that the breast is golden.
Season the breast of the turkey with salt and pepper and return it to the oven.
- The turkey will be ready when the pop-up cooking thermometer pops up. You can also test whether it is ready by inserting a skewer into the deepest part of the thigh to see whether the juices run clear.
- Your turkey should be seeping with delicious rich juices!
*Allow the meat to rest for 30 minutes before serving.
The gravy produced from a Barra Bronze turkey has a delicate rich flavour and should not require the addition of gravy granules. All you need to do is simply skim off the excess fat from the top of the stock. Then scrape off all of the rich residue from the bottom of the roasting tin and mix it in with the gravy. If desired, you can add flour to thicken the gravy. Reheat the gravy and then serve with your Barra Bronze.
|4KG||1hr 55 mins|
|5KG||2hr 10 mins|
|6KG||2hr 25 mins|
|7KG||2hr 40 mins|
|8KG||2hr 55 mins|
|9KG||3hr 10 mins|