I love an excuse to play about with different flavours in the kitchen to create new dishes. For Easter weekend I roasted up a Barra Bronze to enjoy with the family. With the leftovers, I really wanted to recreate that rich flavour enjoyed the previous day but in roll. I think this is the ultimate turkey sandwich. The richness of the Barra Bronze meat contrasted beautifully with the saltiness of the bacon. The sweet tangy flavour from the cabbage made this one a winner.
For the pulled turkey:
500g leftover turkey
300ml turkey stock / gravy
- Add the turkey to pan.
- Pour in left over stock/gravy with the turkey.
- Cook on a low heat for around 15 minutes.
- Continually shred the turkey met with a fork in either hand to achieve a nice pulled effect.
Braised Red Cabbage
700g red cabbage
50 g butter
1 clove garlic
Half a tsp cinnamon
Half a tsp grated nutmeg
4 tbs brown sugar
4 tbsp white wine vinegar
Preheat the oven to 160C/140C fan/gas 2.
- Finely shred the cabbage and set aside.
- Peel and core the apples
- Finely chop the apples and cook them in a low heat in butter. Then add the onions and garlic. Cook until slightly browned
- Add the nutmeg, cinnamon and sugar. Mix well.
- Then add the red cabbage and vinegar.
- Put everything in an oven proof dish and cover for 2 hours until nice and soft.
Serve the pulled turkey, red cabbage and bacon in a ciabatta roll.